Arduino, Plexiglass and Superglue, how can you go wrong?

Like most tinkerers, I started on a project that I have been whittling away at for a long time but haven’t finished.  I am trying to add automation to my faux wood blinds using an Arduino Nano, servo and a wifi card.  I had it working, a hack at best, but the battery setup that I had could not handle the load of the wireless board.

Fast forward to yesterday and I have made it a little closer to done.  Recently one of my buddies took me to this plexiglass store that he uses and I was inspired to get started again.  I had never thought of using plexiglass in my projects.  I bought  a sheet of remnant from this awesome place ePlastics.

You see, the rod in my blinds are in 6 sided, so trying to find something to couple it with was proving to be a challenge.  I won’t embarrass myself by telling you what I tried first, but assume that it was stupid.  With plexiglass I figured it would be easy to mount a servo horn to it and then make a cutout for the rod.

My intent for mounting the rod was to cut several pieces of the plexiglass and glue them together since it is only about 1/4″ think.  Once I had a block of glass, I would drill out a hole smaller than the rod diameter and then jam it in.  Well… turns out that I drilled the hole to big.  I tried to add superglue thinking that it could bridge gaps, but it didn’t do a great job.  The only thing that really held up was the glue between my fingers.

My code was all ready and tested, but this was a huge impediment.  It might have not been the glue that was the main failure.  From the last time I worked on this project, I had to cut out part of the bracket that held together the piece of the blinds that holds the rod and the pulley for the blinds.  When I put plexiglass in their to firm that up I must have cut it too tight and the rod wasn’t able to turn as freely as it needed to.  The glue may have held, but not with the rod being restricted.

I am going to add to the superglued block of glass that is mounted to the servo horn and drill into the new pieces.  I hope that I can get the rod mounted to it.  I think doing that and fixing the support piece will bring this one to a close. I won’t be able to get to this until next week, but I feel pretty confident that it will work.  I will post the results when it works.

Cheers

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s